The former Uniting Church Manse, Mudgee

The site to the immediate west of the Uniting Church in Mortimer Street, Mudgee, was occupied by the manse of the (Wesleyan) Methodist church and later the Uniting Church from the mid 1860s until the late 1990s. After considerable debate the manse was regrettably demolished in the early 2000s to be replaced by a lacklustre tilt-slab commercial building which has considerably compromised the magnificent 1864 adjoining church by prominent Sydney architect George Allen Mansfield. The attached study documents the exterior and interior of this colonial building with a circa 1930 front addition.

Thanks to Barbara Hickson for some of her drawings.

 

John Broadley